Thank you for the inspiring visual mottos that were submitted to everyone who voted and made this call happen.
APECS is happy to congratulate Jennifer Newall
for winning with the Antarctica Day Visual Motto for 2022!
See the full announcement here.
There are two Antarctica-related celebrations observed on and off the continent - Antarctica Day and Midwinter Day. While Midwinter Day is very specific to those who are in Antarctica during a winter solstice, Antarctica Day is observed more outside of the continent, thereby recognizing the fact that the continent has been impacted by human activities elsewhere including effects on the ice sheet through the climate change impacts. Besides, by celebrating Antarctica Day, the community aims to increase the awareness of the global importance of the continent that controls and reacts to the changes in global climate and ocean. As an active contributor to this goal, the Antarctica Day Project Group decided to create a new tradition: A visual motto announced on each Antarctica Day which will be used as an Antarctic motto for the upcoming APECS year!
We define an Antarctic visual motto as an image that incorporates 2 elements - a short textual motto and a graphic depiction - to deliver a strong message about Antarctica. We think that a unique and creative slogan and matching logo-like graphics of Antarctica Day can be a memorable and recognizable tool to define a topic that the APECS community can follow along the following year. Also, this motto will be used as the benchmark for the upcoming Antarctica Day. So this year, your submission may define the motto of Antarctica Day 2022! We had a few general criteria for submissions:
Design by Marlen Kolbe
1) It should be clearly targeted towards Antarctica only;
2) It should be short and catchy;
3) While we strongly welcome scientific topics, it should also easily catch the public attention and not be too specific.
We would like the visual motto to be an inclusive international effort, so we call for submissions from anyone interested to share their creative talent and design an Antarctica Day slogan and motto. As an example, this year’s slogan is ‘My favourite thing about Antarctica’ (+ logo in the picture below), which, as a start to our new tradition, is very general!
Submission is closed.
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting your photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Images must be submitted via the Submission Form. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “Surname_First Name_Antarctica Day2021_VisualMotto” (e.g. Nansen_Fridtjof_AntarcticaDay2021_VisualMotto)
- Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
- Information entered into the submission form has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the contest.
- Please give information if we are allowed to use the visual motto/photo on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the competition.
- The visual motto has to be in JPEG, PDF or PNG format (preferably with resolution of more than 300 dpi)
- Each participant can submit 1 entry.
- Please do not include any watermarks, signatures, borders, or personally identifiable information..
- APECS reserves the right to reject visual mottos with incomplete details, as well as corrupted files or inappropriate file formatting or visual mottos that do not fit into the category of the call for entry.
Visual motto submissions is now open until 10 December 2021, 23:59 GMT!
- Each visual motto submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the visual motto entered for the competition, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting a visual motto for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
- Any people featured in the visual motto must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the competition to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted visual motto. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the visual motto must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.
- The visual motto will be uploaded by the organizers and shared on the Antarctica Day website. A public vote through a voting poll will be opened on 11 December 2021.
- The most voted visual motto will be the winner.
- Results of the competition will be posted on the APECS website and social media, and the winner will also be notified via email end of December.
- APECS will award a prize to the winner.
- The winner will be awarded a prize, including new APECS merchandise and a monetary award of €150 (one hundrend fifty) that can be only used towards attending a polar- or alpine-related conference or workshop (travel support, registration fee). The winner can claim the prize within 2 years from the day the grant is awarded.
- Please note that the award can be granted only to APECS members. If you are not a member and want to be eligible for a funding award, we encourage you to join our community. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- The winner will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prizes.
- Any personal information provided during the entry process (including but not limited to your name, e-mail address, and telephone number) must be correct. We accept no responsibility for any incorrect personal information provided to us.