We were looking for artistic and inspirational poems about Arctic, Antarctic, and the wider cryosphere – whether it is describing the landscapes that took your breath away, fieldwork hardships, encounters with nature or your longing for the polar regions. We asked to put your thoughts into the form of a poem and submit it to the Polar Poetry Contest.
Photo by Flore Van Maldeghem
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting your photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Poems that have won prizes in prior APECS competitions or have been used for commercial purposes will not be eligible.
- If you have won a prize in an APECS art competition in the last 2 years, you are not eligible to submit an entry.
- Members of the Polar Week September 2021 organizing committee and members of the Polar Art Project Group are not eligible to participate.
- Poems must be submitted via the Submission Form. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “Surname_First Name_PolarWeekSept2021_POEM” (e.g. Nansen_Fridtjof_PolarWeekSept2021_POEM)
- Indicate if you are interested in your poem being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
- Information entered into the submission form has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the contest.
- Each participant can submit one poem only. Suggested submission length is 12 - 40 lines.
- Poems may only be written by you personally.
- If you prefer to submit in a language other than English, please provide an English translation along with your work.
- APECS reserves the right to reject poems with corrupted files or inappropriate file formatting or poems that do not fit into the category of the call for entry.
The submission deadline is the 15th of September, 23:59 GMT.
- Each poem submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the poem entered for the competition.
- By submitting a poem for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used internally for the review and contacting the prize winner.
The poems will be judged by the APECS Art project group. Results of the competition will be announced during the Polar Week September 2021, and will be posted on the APECS website and social media. The winner will be notified via email at the end of the Polar Week September 2021.
- APECS will award a prize to the winner (first place).
- The winner will be recevice a monetary award of €150 (one hundrend fifty) that can be only used towards attending a polar- or alpine-related conference or workshop (travel support, registration fee). Winners can claim their prize within 2 years from the day the grant is awarded. Additionally, thw winner will receive the INTERACT Fieldwork planning handbook and an APECS bag.
- Please note that the funds can be granted only to the APECS members. If you are not a member and want to be eligible for a funding award, we encourage you to join our community. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- After the release of the results the winner will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prize.
- Any personal information provided during the entry process (including but not limited to your name, e-mail address, and telephone number) must be correct. We accept no responsibility for any incorrect personal information provided to us.