As part of the activities for International Polar Week during September 19-25, 2021, APECS invites you to submit your amateur or professional photo from polar regions in one or both of the following categories:
(1) Nature; and (2) Research.
All eligible submissions will be displayed on the APECS website and, if you agreed, also on social media.
The winners can share the story of their photo by having an interview with the Podcast Project Group after they have been announced.
---- The deadline for submission has passed ----
Photo by Rodrigo Alves, Design by Juliana Souza Kasprzyk
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting your photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Images that have won prizes in prior APECS competitions or have been used for commercial purposes will not be eligible.
- If you have won a prize in an APECS photo or art competition in the last 2 years, you are not eligible to submit a photo.
- Members of the Polar Week September 2021 organizing committee are not eligible to participate.
- Images must be submitted via the Submission Form. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “Surname_First Name_PolarWeekSept2021_Category” (e.g. Nansen_Fridtjof_PolarWeekSept2021_Research)
- Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Resaerch) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
- Information entered into the submission form has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the contest. If you're submitting a photo, please include a short description about the image (150 characters maximum).
- Please give information if we are allowed to use the photo on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the competition.
- Images have to be in JPEG format (preferably with resolution of more than 300 dpi) and without any watermarks.
- Each participant can submit 1 entry per category.
- Please do not include any watermarks, signatures, borders, or personally identifiable information.
- Digital manipulation that distorts the reality of the images is not permitted. Only basic enhancements such as sharpening, contrast adjustment, or simple cropping are allowed.
- APECS reserves the right to reject images with incomplete details, as well as corrupted files or inappropriate file formatting or photos that do not fit into the category of the call for entry.
Photo submissions will be between 00:01 GMT on 01 September 2021 and 10:00 AM GMT on 17 September 2021.
Pasterze Glacier on the Grossglockner is the longest glacier in Austria and in the Eastern Alps (26th July 2021). Alpine region. (Rodrigo P. Alves. University of Graz, Austria)
- Each image submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the image entered for the competition, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting an image for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
- Any people featured in the image must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the competition to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted images. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the photo must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.
- The images will be uploaded by the organizers and shared on the Polar Week website. During polar week the public can vote through a voting poll September 19 - 25th.
- The most voted photo in each category will be the winners. Each participant can only win one prize. If a participant has the most voted images in both categories, the prize for the category in which the participant got the least votes automatically goes to the second most voted participant.
- Results of the competition will be posted on the APECS website and social media, and the winners will also be notified via email at the end of the Polar Week (September 27, 2021).
- APECS will award a prize to the first-place winners in each category.
- The winners will be awarded prizes, including the INTERACT Fieldwork planning handbook, an APECS bag and a monetary award of €150 (one hundrend fifty) that can be only used towards attending a polar- or alpine-related conference or workshop (travel support, registration fee). Winners can claim their prize within 2 years from the day the grant is awarded.
- Please note that the funds can be granted only to the APECS members. If you are not a member and want to be eligible for a funding award, we encourage you to join our community. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- The winners can have an interview about their photo by our Podcast Project Group to share their photo story.
- Winners will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prize.
- Any personal information provided during the entry process (including but not limited to your name, e-mail address, and telephone number) must be correct. We accept no responsibility for any incorrect personal information provided to us.