By celebrating Antarctica Day, we increase the awareness of the global importance of the Antarctic continent. In 2021, APECS' Antarctica Day Project Group decided to create a new tradition: an Antarctic visual motto for the upcoming year!
We define an Antarctic visual motto as an image that incorporates 2 elements - a short textual motto and a graphic depiction - to deliver a strong message about Antarctica. We think that a unique and creative slogan and graphics can be a memorable and recognizable tool to define an Antarctic theme. This motto will be used to promote the following year's Antarctica Day. Your submission may define the motto of Antarctica Day 2023! We have a few general criteria for submissions:
1) It should be clearly targeted towards Antarctica only;
2) It should be short and catchy;
3) While we strongly welcome scientific topics, it should also easily catch public attention and not be too specific.
We would like the visual motto to be an inclusive international effort, so we call for submissions from anyone interested to share their creative talent and design an Antarctica Day slogan and motto. Please see last year's contest-winning visual motto by Jennifer Newall as an example (at right).
Rules and Regulations:
- The competition is open only to APECS members. If you are not a member yet, please join before submitting your photo. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs.
- Images must be submitted via the Submission Form. The filename of your attached submission shall be named “Surname_First Name_Antarctica Day2022_VisualMotto” (e.g. Nansen_Fridtjof_AntarcticaDay2022_VisualMotto)
- Indicate if you are interested in your image being featured on our APECS Instagram account (@apecs.polar) or Twitter account (@Polar_Research) or Facebook account (@APECS4u). Include your handle, if you like.
- Information entered into the submission form has to include: Name, affiliation and email address of the person entering the contest.
- Please give information if we are allowed to use the visual motto/photo on the APECS website and/or APECS communication channels and/or for non-commercial promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters) after the competition.
- The visual motto has to be in JPEG, PDF or PNG format (preferably with resolution of 300 dpi)
- Each participant can submit 1 entry.
- Please do not include any watermarks, signatures, borders, or personally identifiable information.
- APECS reserves the right to reject visual mottos with incomplete details, as well as corrupted files or inappropriate file formatting or visual mottos that do not fit into the category of the call for entry.
Visual motto submissions is now open until 16 December 2022, 23:59 GMT!
- Each visual motto submitted must be original and unpublished for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
- The participant shall retain the copyright to the visual motto entered for the competition, however grants APECS unrestricted rights to use and edit submitted materials as needed for organizational purposes with or without explicit attribution.
- By submitting a visual motto for the competition, the participant will be regarded as having accepted and agreed to be bound by the rules and regulations of the competition and granted the organizer, APECS, royalty-free permissions to use the picture for promotional, commercial, or educational purposes (e.g. website, flyers, postcards). APECS will credit the creator for any use of the pictures.
- Any people featured in the visual motto must accept and agree with the rules and regulations of this competition. It is the entire and sole responsibility of the participants in the competition to inform and to obtain the appropriate legal permissions of all the people featured in the submitted visual motto. Any depiction of minors (persons under the age of 18) that are identifiable in the visual motto must include explicit, written parental consent. Entries will be asked to provide proof of these permissions and will be disqualified if these permissions are not secured.
- The participant further gives his consent that his/her personal data included in the submission will be used for the aforementioned purposes.
- The visual motto will be uploaded by the organizers and shared on the Antarctica Day website. A public vote will be held.
- The most voted visual motto will be the winner.
- Results of the competition will be posted on the APECS website and social media, and the winner will also be notified via email in January.
- APECS will award a prize to the winner.
- The winner will be awarded €100 (one hundred euros) that can be only used towards attending a polar- or alpine-related conference or workshop (travel support, registration fee). The winner can claim the prize within 2 years from the day the grant is awarded.
- Please note that the award can be granted only to APECS members. If you are not a member and want to be eligible for a funding award, we encourage you to join our community. Joining APECS is free, and you will get the benefits of being part of an organization made up of passionate polar early career scientists and professionals! Click here to join: http://apecs.is/get-involved/join-apecs
- The winner will be contacted by the APECS International Directorate Office with instructions for claiming the prize.
- Any personal information provided during the entry process (including but not limited to your name, e-mail address, and telephone number) must be correct. We accept no responsibility for any incorrect personal information provided to us.