It's that time of year again - Elections for the 2013-2014 APECS Executive Committee will be held in September!
The purpose of this article is to encourage YOU (yes, you) to consider applying for the new APECS Executive Committee or nominating someone you think would do a great job of shaping our organization.
APECS is now an internationally respected association and is recognized as one of the major legacies of the 4th International Polar Year. Our great members, particularly those of our past APECS Executive Committees and Councils have largely contributed to this through their excellent and hard work. To maintain this high level of success, and bring new vision and ideas to APECS, it is truly important for you to be active in this election.
Now YOU get the chance to influence the future of polar research!
What does the APECS Executive Committee do? Check out the APECS website at http://www.apecs.is/who-we-are/leadership/executive-committee.html for more information.
How do you apply?
It's easy! You only have to provide
- basic biographical information (name, institution, contact details, country of residence and origin),
- a brief biosketch that gives us a better picture of who you are (e.g. research theme and interests, your hobbies, etc.),
- a photo of yourself that we can use for the APECS website,
- the names and contact details of two referees, and
- a statement of interest detailing why you are interested in serving on the APECS Executive Committee; how you would like to contribute to APECS as a member of the APECS Executive Committee. Please also include any past involvement in organizing APECS activities, or other exeriences that would make you a good candidate. An outline of what we are specifically hoping you address in your statement of interest and general information about the election procedure is available on the APECS website at http://www.apecs.is/about-apecs/leadership/executive-commitee
What is the timeline for the election?
The 2013-2014 APECS Executive Committee elections follow a strict timeline.
18 July: Announcement of APECS Executive Committee Elections sent out
29 July – 8 September: Accepting nominations (if you are on fieldwork during this time you can send in your application earlier.)
9 – 20 September: Review of applications, current APECS Council members have the chance for a question and answer session both via email and through an online call with the APECS Executive Committee applicants. Applicants should be available for questions and conference call during this time.
21 – 26 September: APECS Executive Committee election: online voting by APECS Council Members
27 – 30 September: Final tally and review of votes, transition process
1 October: official announcement of 2013-2014 APECS Executive Committee
Please note that if you're interested in becoming more involved in APECS but the ExCom sounds like too much for now, nominations for the Council will be opening shortly, too.