APECS respects the need for our members and partners to receive relevant information and seeks to minimize email traffic whilst maximizing knowledge flow. To this end, we have set forth a few guidelines for our APECS mailing lists that we hope will reflect this.
APECS Membership List (Main APECS Mailing List)
APECS maintains one main mailing list that all members are automatically subscribed to when they register for APECS membership. This list is mainly for official APECS announcements including but not limited to:
- APECS lead or co-sponsored events, meetings, workshops, conferences, webinars etc.
- APECS newsletters
- APECS specific opportunities, such as jobs working for APECS, committee appointments representing APECS, other volunteer opportunities.
- Relevant announcements from partner organisations / institutions (see detailed explanation below)
Additionally, country and discipline specific information will only be sent to the relevant members based on the “country of residence”, “regional focus” and “research discipline” information provided in the profiles set up during mailing list registration. Mentors and partners can select which types of announcements they wish to receive. At the bottom of each email APECS announcement, you will find a “update your APECS profile” link to where you can update your profile information in order to receive the most relevant information.
APECS will not send to the entire mailing list:
- Specific conference session announcements (unless they have a specific APECS focus or are sponsored by APECS). Instead these announcements can be communicated to APECS members through the APECS Facebook group.
- Job and Internship announcements (unless specific to APECS). These can be posted on the APECS Job Board
Sharing information from partners and other polar organizations / institutions:
- Announcements to the entire APECS Membership:
- Announcement can be posted on the APECS website under “partner news” or “polar news”. That way the announcement will be included in the monthly APECS Newsletter. The newsletter is sent out in the last week of the month. To ensure that announcements can be included in it, please send it to us by no later than the 20th of each month.
- Separate emails to the main APECS mailing lists are only possible for announcements / events for which APECS is an official partner. In order to keep information on the lists relevant to our members, these notices should include information specific to early career researchers (i.e. travel funding, poster awards, etc.). Other announcements can reach our members through the website / newsletter (see above).
- Announcements can be posted to the APECS Facebook Group or shared through Twitter (@Polar_Research)
- Country or research discipline specific announcements for part of the APECS membership
- announcements in general can be distributed in the same way as described above in the "Announcements to the entire APECS membership"
- In limited cases for close APECS partners, notices can also be sent to a specific part of the APECS mailing list. Each announcement can only be sent to:
- Up to 3 countries
- Up to 3 research disciplines from the list of research disciplines/fields listed below
- Research Discplines/Fields: Agriculture / Soil Sciences; Anthropology; Biodiversity; Cryology / Glaciology; Ecology; Economics; Energy/Fuels; Engingeering; Environmental Sciences; Fisheries; Forestry; Geosciences; Geology; Human and Public Health; Humanities, Hydrology; Instruments + Instrumentation; International Relations; Law; Marine and Freshwater Biology; Medicine; Meteorolgoy / Atmospheric Sciences; Mirobiology; Modelling; Oceanolgraphy; Paleontology; Plant Sciences; Political Sciences; Remote Sensing; Sea Ice; Social Sciences; Toxicology; Urban Studies; Water Resources; Zoology; Other
APECS National Committee Mailing Lists
APECS has several National Committees that have their own mailing lists in order to get in touch with their members and distribute country-specific information. APECS members are automatically added to the local National Committee mailing list (if one exists) based on the “country of residence” listed in the membership profile. Some of the NC email lists have additional regulations for the type of content distributed on their email lists.
Mentors and Partners Mailing List:
Mentors or partners who wish to stay updated on APECS activities can either register for full APECS membership or register as a mentor and partner and select which types of announcements they wish to receive.
Unsubscribe from the mailing lists:
List subscribers can unsubscribe at any time. Each announcement of the APECS Mailing List has an “unsubscribe” option at the bottom of the email. Please note that if you unsubscribe from the APECS mailing list you will also cancel your APECS membership.
APECS does not sell or share email addresses with partners or other entities, unless approved in exceptional circumstances by the Executive Committee and/or Council.
Final items sent to these lists are at the discretion of the Executive Director and/or the President.
This emailing policy was originally approved on 7 February 2012 and updated on 21 July 2015. It can be updated by the APECS Executive Committee as needed.