The Nunavut Wildlife Management Board (NWMB) is an institution of public government established under the Nunavut Agreement, and situated in Iqaluit, Nunavut. The NWMB is currently seeking a dynamic individual to fill the permanent full-time position of Wildlife Management Biologist: Nunavut Commercial Fisheries.
Reporting to the Director of Wildlife Management, this Biologist will:
• Contribute to the Board's responsibilities with respect to Nunavut’s inshore and offshore commercial marine fisheries management, including, total allowable catch/harvest, basic needs levels and non-quota limitations;
• Communicate and work closely with Inuit, government, and organizations on issues affecting Nunavut’s commercial marine fisheries, including regulations, management plans, and stock assessments;
• Lead and coordinate notices and submissions for written and oral hearings for NWMB decisions on commercial marine fisheries;
• Complete research and analyses for preparing NWMB briefing notes and papers;
• Review research proposals and track projects for the Nunavut Wildlife Research Trust, Nunavut Wildlife Studies Fund, and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit Research Fund; and
• Work closely with NWMB staff and Board to ensure NWMB’s conservation efforts, policies, and decisions, are informed by science and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit.
Qualifications: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in the field of a related field, preference will be given to applicants with a graduate degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.). Experience in commercial marine fisheries research or management is mandatory. Knowledge of legislation and policies affecting commercial marine fisheries in Nunavut and adjacent waters is required. Experience in northern Canada and/or in other cross-cultural situations is an asset.
Salary and Benefits: The pay level for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The NWMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including northern allowance, vacation travel assistance and relocation assistance. For a copy of the complete job description and schedule of benefits, or to submit resumes, please contact:
Director of Finance and Administration
Nunavut Wildlife Management Board
Box 1379 Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Phone: (867) 975-7300; Fax: (888) 421-9832
Closing Date: July 23, 2017 at midnight EST